Wednesday 19 March 2014

Bakewell Tarts...

Time to catch up with our second full day in Derbyshire, which dawned frosty and cold - but with a beautiful view from the house. But, oh, what an embarrassment to find out that we had missed the Aurora Borealis the previous evening, as we knitted, and nattered, and drank wine. Ah, well. It's something I've always wanted to see, but I'm sure I will. One day!


A wander round Wirksworth, first thing in the morning, and a visit to the Farmers' Market - so characterful and full of characters!

Nice hat!
Then off to Bakewell, famous for its tarts. Over the bridge, and into town, passing the now ubiquitous padlocks - or is that a little cynical of me? It's a bit like those pictures of teddy bears or garden gnomes, taken in front of the Eiffel Tower, or Grand Canyon - just too many of them now!


Cakes, tarts, meringues, bread, cheese, and all sorts of other good stuff to eat, in delightful and individual shops. A quirky little dog, carried by a glamorous and indulgent owner, and a lovely flower shop tucked down an alleyway caught my attention.


Time to head home, and I was captivated by this hilltop and its trees as we sped past in the car.


A quick stop at a fabric and sewing shop; based in an old church with fabrics displayed on the old pews, it was one of those places where I could easily spend a small fortune, so enticing were the colours and patterns. But... I'm sensible these days. No, that's a good thing. Really.


I took a quick walk when we got 'home', up onto the path behind where we were staying, and discovered a lovely view of the town stretched out below.


A bit of knitting, a bit of knattering (yes, correct, if the nattering is mainly about knitting), a fab dinner made by Helen (cake by Karen!) and then off to the Northern Light Cinema to see Enough Said, a lovely, funny, and thought-provoking film starring James Gandolfini and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, which I'd heartily recommend - we all stumbled out afterwards wiping tears away! The cinema itself is really charming - each seat is covered in mis-matched fabrics, and with armchairs and couches in the back rows, with tables to put your wine glass on, it makes for a very glamorous and civilized evening out. I'd imagine being a regular there if I lived in Wirksworth - no wonder booking is essential!

No comments: