Monday 30 September 2013

A little less (wildlife) conversation...

To a wildlife site on Friday morning where I was supposed to be helping out with some conservation work. 

I was given the (gentle, beginner's) task of planting half a dozen little pots of Bird's foot trefoil, which is all I managed to do in the couple of hours I was there... The rest of the time was spent chatting in the sunshine, or following George around, oohing and aahing as he pointed out slow worms, lizards, dragonflies and butterflies as well as all the different kinds of plant life. I started out galumphing around the place and pretty quickly wished I could hover six inches above the ground to avoid accidentally treading on anything precious.

Lots of dragonflies, and several hanging from the trees like delicate Christmas decorations.
Tiny lizards, sunbathing on the log piles.
A gorgeous comma butterfly which didn't budge as I got closer to take photographs.
It's an interesting place. A huge chunk of it was given over to a supermarket, and a few hardy and committed volunteers are doing their utmost to preserve and enhance what is left of the original site - home to all sorts of interesting plants and creatures, including foxes and possibly badgers. A 180º turn reveals two completely different views, and the smell of freshly baked bread wafting over is pleasant, if slightly incongruous!


It was a glorious morning, which made the whole thing very enjoyable indeed. Not so sure how I'll feel when it comes to digging out the old pond and installing a new one - especially if the weather is cold, wet and grey...

Of course, our own garden keeps revealing new and interesting things, like these pretty purple/pink colchicums which I'd forgotten were there, popping up at the base of the pear tree.
 I also spotted this little party of Fairy Inkcaps gossiping at the bottom of one wall.
And, at the end of the day, we were rewarded with the most beautiful sunset..

No comments: